Yamahas C7 out of the box

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:54:35 +0100

We get our instruments through the European channel, which gets theirs
from Japan.  I'm not really sure of the network, but I think there are
main offices in both Germany and in France.

I got to thinking about my days in Sherman Clay Seattle and how much
work we'd actually do on Bostons. Back then my own prep work was mostly
confined to basic action regulation, and a bit of hammer mating.  Didnt
know as much back then as perhaps I should have,... no real good routine
for glide bolts and bedding in general, voicing limited to basic
smoothing out of existing voice, little or no attention paid to
trapework and dampersystem. Even without all those moments I managed to
find 6 to 8 hours of work with things I knew how to do.  I suppose if I
had the benifit of what I've learned since then I would see a similiar
situation.

Like I said.. been some years now since I've boxed a piano open for
prep. So perhaps its a combination of that, and that I know quite a bit
more now since the last time I did much of this kind of work. Still 15
hours seems like a lot of work to require of a dealer if brand new
instruments (of any sort) are to be put in concert shape.  But perhaps
thats more the norm then I'd realized. In anycase... makes me appreciate
what our local dealer gets done as instruments I run into out in the
field that come from his store are almost always in very fine shape. One
of the few dealers I've run into through the years that takes great care
to insure instruments are as well preped as he possibly can.  But then
he was (and is) a technician before he was a dealer.

This all really opens for a discussion on what basic prep routines
different techs employ for <<good quality>> instruments when they are
first boxed open. I'd be real interested in hearing what some of you do,
how long it takes you, and how close to concert condition you take
instruments in preping for sales floors.

Cheers
RicB