Sticky ebony sharps

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:49:25 -0800

James Grebe said:"Tung oil does that"

James,
>From my experience, I've found that Tung Oil does NOT do that! However, =
there are two types of  "Tung Oil" finish that is available. One is the =
natural Tung Oil w/o any additives. The other has additives to make it =
set up harder. Under some conditions, the Pure Tung Oil will slightly =
soften, but it won't get "gummy" as described.
Now, let's blame the real culprit. My suspicion is that someone used =
Linseed Oil! All of the symptoms described point in that direction.=20
I use Tung Oil on the top of my Grand Bench. It has never exhibited =
these symptoms!! EVER! In the past, (before extensive work/study in =
Piano Tech and Finishing), I used Linseed Oil as a finish. Each time it =
was a disaster! The darned stuff never set up! It was pretty, but it was =
also a mess!
To get rid of the darned stuff, I recommend heavily swabbing the sharps =
with Acetone and/or commercial grade lacquer thinner. (Yes, there is a =
difference in grades of Lacquer Thinner.) Use a fine 3M pad to smooth =
and swab.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police