Sticky ebony keytops revisited

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:57:17 -0500

Hi,

For those who may remember my postings a while back on my ebony keys
being sticky when the weather is humid, I have some more on that issue.
I did end up sanding them, which improved the situation quite a bit.
However, there are still some issues.

For one, I've been noticing small black "chips" that show up on the
ivory keys while I'm playing. They blow off, so it's not an issue. But
I'm confused how after all this time I'm still getting them, and
wondering what caused them in the first place (I don't recall seeing
them before sanding).

When I clean the ebony keys with a damp cloth, it is still is picking
up something from the keys - the cloth becomes a very light brown after
going over only half the keys.

I'm afraid to keep sanding them since I don't want to sand too much of
the key away. Is a better solution to just replace them? Is the quality
of ebony nowadays as good as when the piano was made (1925)?

Thanks.

- John