Hammer height conundrum on a '46 Hardman grand

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:53:58 -0600

Hi George,

As Ric B. mentioned, something does not add up, literally, if the shanks
are 1/2" off the cushion when the blow distance is 1 3/4".  The couple of
Hardmans that I've seen / worked on have regulated to fairly conventional
dimensions.  Picture the virtical distance from the rest cushion on the
wippen up to the strings.  It wil be subdivided into 1) clearance to shank
at rest, 2) hammer bore length (plus 1/2 shank diameter), and 3) hammer
blow distance.  If 1) and/or  3) are larger than they should be, then 2) is
smaller than it should be, either by design or through wear.  Let us know
what the bore distance is, for several hammers from bass to high treble.
Also, take a look at the string grooves - how deep and long are they, and
are they perpendicular to the molding ?

Mike