Yamahas C7 out of the box

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:40:56 +0100

Hi Dale

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>   Shoot Ric I didn't spend that much on new stwys
>   Dale

I suppose if you really wanted to.. you could easily get into tweaking
just about any <<good>> instrument for 15 hours.  But this was no tweak
job. This was cleaning up a mess. I havent had any experience whatsoever
myself with a brand spanking new Steinway just out of the box so I dont
know... but seems to me either way... this was a lot of basics that
needed rework.

On the side... had a real interesting discussion with the store owner
(also a piano tech) about how the soundboard vibrates.  His position
was  one I hadnt heard before. He meant that it is the strings
longitudinal waves that are soley responsible for the sound the piano
makes. That these longitudinal wave cause the bridge to rock back and
forth which in turn causes the transverse movement of the soundboard.  I
tried to point out that the lowest longitudinal frequencies were at the
16th or so partial above the fundemental transverse frequencies... but
this didnt seem to help.  Whats more... he seemed to suggest that this
was Fenners position on soundboard vibration. My German isnt good enough
to confirm this from any of his writtings... but I have a hard time
believing that Fenner thinks this way.

Interesting discussion yes... from the standpoint that it reminded me of
the heated debate a couple three years back.  This time I found myself
far more on the side the Ron and Del camp took.  Funny how darned sure
he was of himself, despite the self admission that he really knew
absolutely nothing about phsyics.  We had a good time with it tho.

Cheers
RicB