advice on Chickering Square

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:54:31 -0700

The value of things is determined by the buyer.=20
An item has no value if there is no buyer.
ie. Some, would give millions for the last out ball in this years =
baseball worlds series. To me it has no other value than just another =
baseball.
Unless I owned it <G>
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 7:42 PM
  Subject: Re: advice on Chickering Square

  Don Mannino said: "In my opinion, this is a question for an antiques =
dealer.  Piano=20
  technicians tend to value pianos as musical instruments, and while =
this=20
  piano might be useable as a piano, if it were to have any real value =
then=20
  an antiques expert should be the one to appraise it.

  Good luck!"

  Don,
  I completely disagree with you. I've seen many, so-called "antiques" =
"appraised" by licensend appraisers that it is almost laughable. First, =
Antique Appraisers tend to avoid pianos, as they know nothing about them =
and usually don't get it right when they do make an attempt at setting a =
value. Example: and 1875ish Steinway Square Grand was appraised by one =
of these "appraisers" for over $20K!!!!! The insides of this piano were =
a disaster, but the outside was very nice. (It had been refinished!)=20
  We should hope that the antique appraisers stick to their given skills =
and stay the heck out of pianos. We'll all be better off, IMO!
  Best Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I