University Piano Sales RE: Weird Spinet

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:38:40 -0600

Frank Hennessey, whom many of you know well, tells an interesting story
about a customer of his who bought a Steinway grand (M, I think) for =
$250 at
a university sale. She called to ask him if he thought it would be a =
good
deal since the piano was "kind of beat up." He told her, of course, that
he'd be happy to buy it if she didn't!
=20
Ya never know.
=20
Well, sometimes ya know and ya still make dumb choices. What's up with =
THAT?

=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 12:48 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Weird Spinet

Friday, I had the dubious honor of "tuning" a 1939 "Musette". Sheesh! It =
was
parallel stung w/a single bridge/giant hockey stick, (you could hit the =
puck
from anywhere on the ice!). More bi-chord wound stings than I wanted to
count! Harmonics----nothing matched! Real fun, to say the least. The =
poor
owner had bought it at a "University Sale", for $2,000! (Gawd, I hate =
those
sales!...even more now!) The odd thing was that the piano was =
constructed
very well. Nice Ivory, action was nice, throughout. Played nice, just
sounded like crap! The whole thing closed up like a square grand. I hope
this was the only one ever made, so that none of you have to try and =
work on
anything like it. BTW, it had a grand lyre, w/only two functioning =
pedals,
(the middle rod was attached to a spring on the underside of the keybed.
Lovely! :-(
I usually relish working on the weird, but not this one!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I