seeking wood screws

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:23:38 -0800

I use an external tooth lockwasher under the plate.  The reason:  I =
don't want the hanger bolt to turn in the rim when I tighten the nut on =
top.

Carl Meyer
PTG assoc
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Terry=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 8:34 AM
  Subject: Re: seeking wood screws

  Why do you put a washer on top of the up-side-down lock nut that goes =
on the backside of the plate - assuming of course that the nut has =
enough horizontal surface area to mate with the plate (and not want to =
fall through the hole)? I would just be afraid of a potential =
rattle/buzz if one of the assemblies got a little loose (I realize that =
none should be). I just haven't found that to be needed. I do put a =
washer on the top though - but mostly to protect the plate finish while =
tightening the acorn nut on top.

  5/16-inch hole gives me a nice very snug fit.

  Terry Farrell

    All this talk of screw sources has had me browsing some of these =
sites. Very cool. I've always tried to maintain an organized supply of =
various screw types and sizes which has been a huge asset. But it is not =
always easy to get big boxes of the sizes you want any more. Most places =
only sell the little 15 piece plastic packages (very expensive way to =
buy screws).

    Anyway, I have been wanting to do the plate suspension trick for =
adjusting downbearing. Del spoke of it at the recent Indy conference. =
This involves threading socket cap screws (headless bolts with recessed =
allen socket) into the inner rim, running down a lock nut upside down =
with a washer on top (a sufficient clearance well counterbored into the =
soundboard), the plate lowered onto the washer, a chrome washer and =
acorn nut on top. The height of the plate can then be easily raised or =
lowered by removing the acorn nut and turning the stud with and allen =
wrench.=20

    Attached is what I ordered. I got the hanger screws just for fun. If =
the machine thread doesn't work well, which Del said it would thread =
right into the wood, I can always fall back on the hanger screws with =
their lag thread.=20

    Does anyone have a recommended hole size to drill the rim for the =
3/8" machine thread to screw into?

    Blessings,

    Dean