humidistat

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:13:29 -0500

I looked at the web site - sounded interesting. I'm currently using a
reptile thermostat (with a remote probe) to indirectly regulate relative
humidity and directly regulate temperature in my hot box. The thermostat
holds the temp real constant, within about a degree, which in turn also
holds the RH very constant - within one maybe two percent. I would wonder
how the 7% swing in the on-off cycle would perform. Keep in mind that the
wood will have quite a lag in drying down, but in the range we operate in
that would mean a differential of a good 1% wood moisture content target.
Would seem then to be hard to determine, after you observe that your panel
has stopped shrinking, is the MC at 5% or 6%? If you can keep the hot box
environment more steady, then you can be pretty darn sure what the
equilibrium MC of your panel is.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs. Might be a nice device for when you have wood
drying in the hot box and you need to be out of the shop for a few days - it
would get you close without close monitoring. I find I need to monitor and
adjust my system sometimes once per day due to temperature changes in my
shop.

Terry Farrell