humidistat

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:36:38 -0800

I believe that 42% correlates to a certain EMC at which the soundboard
is, let's say, comfortably compressed.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Sarah Fox
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 8:54 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: humidistat

... and one wonders what is the magic of 42%?  I know it's heresy, but
could
it be that other setpoints may be more appropriate for certain
pianos/environments?  If a piano has been accustomed to a high humidity
environment for the past several decades, is it really smart to dry it
out
to 42%?  If a piano has been used to living in the desert, it is
necessarily
smart to humidify it to 42%?  In the end, shouldn't the goal be to find
humidity at which both the client and the piano are happy and to lock it
in?
After all, is it not the *changes* in humidity that bring about damage
and
instability, rather than the humidity itself???

Perhaps instead of having an unadjustable unit or a unit with a knob on
the
front for easy adjustment, you should make your units adjustable with a
screwdriver.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah