Whippen Rail

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:40:57 -0800

RicB asked: "I guess this is one of the things I am looking for then =
Joe,  just what=20
is the calculation for deciding the height of the whippen foot.  Jim=20
Ellis mentioned something along these lines in a private post to me and=20
I'm sure its a valid enough variable... but I'm not going to start=20
grinding off wood unless I know how much and why :)"

Ric,
Although Rick Wheeler did several calculations, while we were analyzing =
the probable action Geometry, the "end all" was: we set the action at =
Half Blow and Rick had a laser that was a LINE! We marked the wippen =
foot, with pencil at the "ideal" and I then went back to my shop and =
made it happen. BTW, I should say, in this process, I made an "Action =
Model", (one key on #1 & #88). AND, Rick utilized the original key =
frame, by making a new balance rail and inserts in the front rail. (The =
original action had, essentially, a 1 to 1 ratio in the keys! Yikes!<G>) =
This allowed us to work unfettered at doing the analysis. The =
preliminary stuff was done in the piano, (bore length, bore distance, =
action spread,etc.) so that Rick only had to do the final analysis. What =
the formulae was, that he was doing...?...you'll have to ask him. Since =
he is readily at hand, I don't feel the need to get into the math part, =
at this time. Perhaps later. All depends on how many of these puppies I =
will be doing.<G> As a lot of what he did for me, in the calculating, =
key making, is proprietary, in his eyes, I chose to be silent with my =
never ending questions. (Now, there's a first!<G>)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I