back check wires

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:14:05 -0600

At 08:42 1/5/2005 -0800, you wrote:
> > Are you saying that there is a finite amount of repair parts?  No more
> > backchecks will ever be made??  When they are gone, no more Yamaha pianos
> > will be made??
>
>Of certain parts, yes. Ford will never go back and make a fender for a 67
>mustang. Once they are gone it's after market junk, salvage, or make your
>own. It costs a lot to tool up to make a million parts. It costs the same
>tool up to make 10 thousand in a lot of cases. Upgrading your product is
>actually planned obsolescence. When proper repair parts are no longer
>available the product gets thrown away.
>
>With the unique exception of pianos, which people will avoid taking to the
>dumps at all costs, rat infestation and all.
>
>Keith

I understand all that, but we (or at least I) was discussing parts which
are in current production for current models which are identical to parts
for older instruments which have gotten misplaced from their original sale
market for whatever reason.  (I know servicemen and women buy things
overseas and occasionally bring them home.)

I would think that these quality parts, such as dampers, which are in
current production and thus would have minimal, if any, tooling costs.

I know from my textile machinery manufacturing days (very small company)
that estimating necessary inventories of replacement parts for normal wear
is dance with very fancy footwork, but with the millions of units which
Yamaha has produced in more than a century, there should be a VERY solid
statistical analysis possible.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder