Lead

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:44:05 -0600

Subject: Re: Lead

I've been wondering whether it's necessary to melt and re-cast the lead
weights in order to re-use them.  How about pressing them through a die to
clean the surface and correctly size the old weights?  I have such a die,
originally marketed for sizing dowels (which generally arrive oval and
oversize).  Anybody try this yet, or do I need to do it and report back?

Mike

Key leads are tapered.  The smaller end is swedged to lock the lead in the
key.  A cylindrical lead would require swedging both sides. Has anyone
seen/used cylindrical leads?  If so, how do you secure them in the key?

Paul C