average age?, previous profession?

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:53:44 -0400

You guessed it Avery.
Reading between the lines of some previous posts to the list. I believe others got their start there too.
So we must be thankful, for it at least getting us on the right track.

John
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Avery Todd
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 10:05 PM
  Subject: Re: average age?, previous profession?

  Was that the one in CA, I belive? If so, I started with that one also.
  Thankfully, I got away from it! :-)

  Avery

  At 04:08 PM 1/3/05, you wrote:

    Hi List,
    I did 25 years in the Royal Canadian Navy, retiring in 1981.
    My career manager offered me the option of staying in the Navy till age 55.
    I said no, as I had about 100 people wanting a piano tuning. Remember this is about 5 years after I started tuning.

    I started doing pianos in 1975, part time, when our piano tuner had a stroke.My Wife said, "who is going to do our piano now?" I was reading a magazine at the time, and saw an ad for a course in piano tuning. I completed the course in 1976.
    (I have since found out that is the bottom of the list, as far as tuning courses go.) But it did get me started.

    I joined the Guild, and began attending conventions. It was true, the course I had taken, was a bad course.
    But many conventions later, I now feel that I give good value for money.

    This list and the conventions are the best.

    Best regards,
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
    jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca