average age?, previous profession?

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:08:59 -0400

Hi List,
I did 25 years in the Royal Canadian Navy, retiring in 1981.
My career manager offered me the option of staying in the Navy till age 55.
I said no, as I had about 100 people wanting a piano tuning. Remember this is about 5 years after I started tuning.

I started doing pianos in 1975, part time, when our piano tuner had a stroke.My Wife said, "who is going to do our piano now?" I was reading a magazine at the time, and saw an ad for a course in piano tuning. I completed the course in 1976.
(I have since found out that is the bottom of the list, as far as tuning courses go.) But it did get me started.

I joined the Guild, and began attending conventions. It was true, the course I had taken, was a bad course.
But many conventions later, I now feel that I give good value for money.

This list and the conventions are the best.

Best regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca