Steinway D keys

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:51:51 -0600

While we're on the subject of keys, when was it that Steinway eliminated
the maple insert on the bottom of the keys at the balance rail pin.  Was
it the same time that they changed the guide pins from 0.146" to
0.125"??  I can't imagine that eliminating the maple insert was a change
for the better.

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Delwin D Fandrich
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 11:14 AM
To: nicho@zianet.com
Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway D keys

Hi Guy.

Yes, I have tried stiffening Steinway D keys. Not with saturating the
sides with
glue but by epoxying fiberglas cloth and carbon fiber cloth on their
sides.
(Separate experiments.) The whole thing was exceedingly messy and not
particularly effective. My final solution (see the PTJ articles on
action
saturation) was to eliminate the half-round balance button and install a
maple
foot along the bottom of the keys of equal height. The original buttons
stayed
in place. Again, see the articles.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich