odd bechstein

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:43:44 -0800

I have rarely seen an old Bechstein that held up well.  Yours is a good
example of what I've seen-tonally too.  I attended a presentation from a
Bechstein tech a few years ago and it was still the practice to avoid
changing soundboards at all costs-the soul of the piano and all.  Many
interesting methods of "rebuilding crown" were described, including
cutting kerfs into the bridge at various points along its length,
wedging up the board and filling the cuts with material to help support
the crown.  I'm still fascinated by the persistence of superstition.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Terry
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2005 6:46 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: odd bechstein

Well, I own a 1900 Bechstein with "interesting" crown! It has an
S-shaped soundboard (looking at a cross-section along a rib) - positive
crown on the back side of the long bridge and negative crown between the
belly rail and the long bridge. Nice thin sound - sounds like each note
has only one string.

But we can fix that.....

Terry Farrell

 <http://www.farrellpiano.com> www.farrellpiano.com