Parts trays for the shop

William Benjamin pianoboutique@comcast.net
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:56:31 -0500

Greg,

Try a 1 by 4 bord on the wall behind your work bench with 88 1/5 inch hooks
about a half inch apart from one another.   You can put the screws in a cup
and hang the parts by the flanges.   Just an idea that has worked for me and
others.
William
PIANO BOUTIQUE
William Benjamin
Piano Tuner Extraordinaire
www.pianoboutique.biz
The tuner alone,
preserves the tone.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Greg Graham
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:42 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Parts trays for the shop

You take 88 wippens off the action to re-whatever them
and where do you put them?  On a scrap strip of
plywood?  In a shoebox?

I need to organize the flow of parts in my shop.  An
instructor of a class on action parts rebushing at
NYSCON a couple years ago mentioned the use of
stackable trays long enough to hold 88 copies of a
particular part, in order, without falling all over
the floor, etc.  They are big enough to use as a work
surface when repinning/rebushing.  Keeping the parts
in order through an entire series of operations saves
much sorting time later.  And it is nice to be able to
clear the bench in a single move if you need to.

I would like to make several of these trays, but
thought it would be good to see what others on this
list are doing to streamline parts handling.
Dimensions and pictures would be very helpful.

The trays I'm considering:

For action parts: 1/4 inch plywood, 12 inches by 60
inches, with 1x3 pine sides on the two short sides and
one long side.  The trays can stack on these 1x3 sides
without disturbing the wippens, shanks, etc, that may
be aboard.

I also want to make a wider version for keys when
doing keytops, perhaps 20 by 60 inches.

Any ideas?

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA