Converting a Brass Rail Piano (private)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:45:19 -0500

"....once the brass rail(s) are removed and the wooden rail is =
"modified", you have no reference point..."

Indeed. The flange center is a very important element of doing this =
conversion. Fortunately, it is not difficult to measure the original =
location (assuming it was a good location) and then evaluating the =
center of the new wooden flange.=20

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  Dittos back atcha.<G> I didn't say the parts would fit all that good! =
My reaction is the use of a Table Saw. A bit over-kill IMHO, when a hand =
plane would suffice. Another thing that is needed, is a "jig" that will =
allow you to mount the action, as if it were in the piano. This is the =
key to doing this job correctly, when the piano is not in the shop. The =
trick is to establish the distance from the hammer butt flange center =
pin to the string plane. AND, establishing the correct strike point for =
the hammers. Think about it....once the brass rail(s) are removed and =
the wooden rail is "modified", you have no reference point(s)!!! As in: =
Yikes! DAMHIK!!!<G> Those two factors are extremely important and are =
not emphasized sufficiently in the Spurlock articles, IMO.
  Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.=20

  Barbara Richmond wrote:
  Hi all,

      I have a customer with a Straube upright piano that has a truly =
wonderful sound.  I was so surprised the first time I heard it, because =
there aren't many uprights that have survived a lifetime in the Midwest =
and still have any life in them.  Here's the exception.  The only =
problem is it has a brass rail.  Is it possible to convert one of these =
to a wooden flange system? =20
      Thanks,

      Barbara Richmond, RPT