Steinway parts contact info

Wed, 28 Dec 2005 05:57:18 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_SryUEFJH+KcWOpwKTWPRnQ)

At 11:43 AM 12/27/2005 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
>     AH yes Shannon's gone to be sure  & Chad Fry is the new guy & he's=20
> very hepful & without the N.Y. attitude......or dialectic=20
> infection/accent: hmmm maybe he ain't bein from there.  A few glitches in=
=20
> the phone system/voice mail butby in large an aim to please=20
> attitude....how refreshing
>    Dale Erwin

Whether or not you find the New Yawk  accent offensive, the following=20
clarification is in order, and are offered in the ecumenical spirit of the=
=20
season:

>di=B7a=B7lect
>pronunciation
> (d
>[]
>[]
>[]
>-l
>[]
>kt
>[]
>)
>n.
>1.
>a. A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by=20
>pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech=20
>differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the=20
>culture in which it exists: Cockney is a dialect of English.
>b. A variety of language that with other varieties constitutes a single=20
>language of which no single variety is standard: the dialects of Ancient=
 Greek.

Whereas:

>ac=B7cent
>pronunciation
> (
>[]
>[]
>[]
>nt
>[]
>)
>n.
>1. The relative prominence of a particular syllable of a word by greater=20
>intensity or by variation or modulation of pitch or tone.
>2. Vocal prominence or emphasis given to a particular syllable, word, or=20
>phrase.
>3. A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
>a. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.
>b. One determined by the phonetic habits of the speaker's native language=
=20
>carried over to his or her use of another language.

While:

>di=B7a=B7lec=B7tic
>pronunciation
> (d
>[]
>[]
>[]
>-l
>[]
>[]
>[]
>k)
>n.
>1. The art or practice of arriving at the truth by the exchange of logical=
=20
>arguments.
>2.
>a. The process especially associated with Hegel of arriving at the truth=20
>by stating a thesis, developing a contradictory antithesis, and combining=
=20
>and resolving them into a coherent synthesis.
>b. Hegel's critical method for the investigation of this process.
>3.
>a. The Marxian process of change through the conflict of opposing forces,=
=20
>whereby a given contradiction is characterized by a primary and a=20
>secondary aspect, the secondary succumbing to the primary, which is then=20
>transformed into an aspect of a new contradiction. Often used in the=20
>plural with a singular or plural verb.
>b. The Marxian critique of this process.
>4. dialectics (used with a sing. verb) A method of argument or exposition=
=20
>that systematically weighs contradictory facts or ideas with a view to the=
=20
>resolution of their real or apparent contradictions.
>5. The contradiction between two conflicting forces viewed as the=20
>determining factor in their continuing interaction

To be sure - there is NO NEW YORK ACCENT!  Long Island, New Jersey, the=20
five boroughs...ALL have their sub-accents, and sub-sub-accents, and as=20
population changes, so do the regional accents.  As for "N.Y attitude", I=20
fear you're engaging in gratuitous and dated caricatur-ization.   You can=20
find diffidence anywhere... like, for example, Chicago, or, Milan.  Maybe=20
it's just an urban thing. ?

Dale also wrote the following:

>Yes & by in large mine were mostly positive as well with the exception of=
=20
>a few tense words about the deadline concerning parts being returned  & I=
=20
>had to go over her head once to get her to back off. I didn't concder that=
=20
>occasion very good personal service.
>      Defective parts are defective wether it's 30 or 60 days.  I don't=20
> consider giving a faithful client a hard time on such an issue  personal=
=20
> service.  That's where I'm coming from

The following is quoted from the current Steinway price list:

>5. There is a 30-DAY RETURN POLICY on all orders.
>6. ***YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHECKING YOUR ORDER UPON RECEIPT - EVEN IF=20
>THE PARTS
>WILL NOT BE USED IMMEDIATELY!!!!!****
>7. ***NO CREDIT OR ADJUSTMENTS WILL BE MADE AFTER 30 DAYS!!!***

True, this is still Shannon's 2005 list, and Chad may change the policy, if=
=20
it is, in fact his prerogative (though I suspect that's not the=20
case).  However, if these policies are retained, it would seem that, in the=
=20
name of scientific inquiry, you should attempt to return some parts after=20
having held them for well over the 30 day period.  If Chad holds fast, how=
=20
can you fault Shannon?  If he caves, what does that say about his lack of=20
"New York" character?

Of course, in the service of dialectic discourse, we should now say "On the=
=20
other hand...".

As long as we forgo engaging in the DIANETIC approach ;)

Seasoned greetings to all.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY=20=

--Boundary_(ID_SryUEFJH+KcWOpwKTWPRnQ)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_SryUEFJH+KcWOpwKTWPRnQ)--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 3f57f42.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 1443 bytes