Precautions re string breakage

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:52:18 -0800

Thomas said: "
I was taught to paint a little Liquid Wrench onto the pressure bar and
"V" bar points before attempting a pitch raise but have long since
abandoned the practice. There are times when lubrication might help, I
suppose, but the only times I've used it in recent memory was to improve
the tunability of a string which was rusty and dragging on the
understring cloth."

I recommend LPS-1 lubricant, rather than Liquid Wrench. The later, stays there, forever, and is a magnet for dust/dirt. Whereas, LPS-1, lubricates and disapates into nothingness after a few hours. Also, I've found the use of an impact tuning lever helps ease the possibility of breakage. On grands, however, the impact thingee is not an aid, IMO. (?)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I