How to sell a broken string

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:27:32 -0700

MessageI use Goose Juice at  upper termination points. Just a drop on =
any place where there looks to be rust.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Geoff Sykes=20
  To: Pianotech@Ptg. Org=20
  Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 10:23 PM
  Subject: How to sell a broken string

  Greetings all, and happy holidays to everyone --

  I had such great success with my last question that I thought I would =
post a second one. (I have a third one coming in a couple of days.)

  Broken strings happen! Sometimes you can see the precursor evidence =
that indicates strings MAY break, but there really is no way to know for =
sure that it may until it does.

  When a string breaks, how do you explain to your customer that it =
wasn't your fault? Naturally this may be a little easier with =
established customers with whom you have developed some trust. But what =
about those first time customers? The ones to whom you may have already =
had to explain the concept of pitch adjustment and stability, and that =
subsequent additional charge. How do you explain the situation, either =
before or after the fact, so that they will not only pay for the repair, =
but also (hopefully) call you again?

  Bonus question: What measures do you take, beyond being careful and =
crossing your fingers, to help prevent string breakage?

  -- Geoff Sykes
  -- Assoc. Los Angeles