Steinway rebuild parts supplier poll.

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:37:09 -0700

Gordon,
     Happy Holidays to you, also.
         We use parts from almost everybody, in part because our customers
request or supply many different parts. In general, I'd suggest "softer" or
more compliant hammers like the Ronsen AA Wurzen or S&S hammers for a small
grand like an "S". For lightwieght shanks I agree with Dale, the Abel parts
from Wally are very nice. Keep them in mind, also, when you need Chickering
narrow shanks. The Renner parts are very popular, and generally consistent,
and I haven't noticed a mushiness to the knuckles as mentioned, but I'll
take another look soon. We do a lot of "packing-in" of the new parts, and
they seem pretty stable.
         Shameless plug on the wippens. If you're not switching heels or
turbo-izing, consider having them rebuilt. In a lot of cases, the weight
and geometry of the original is good, and we completely rebuild a whole set
for about 400 bucks. Sandblasted, all new bushing felts, heel cloth,
springs, buttons, etc., etc. Like I said, shameless plug.
         You didn't mention bass wires or scale. Now's the time, y'know.
The "S" isn't for "Stellar". Consider checking with a scale guru and one of
the custom bass wire vendors.

Have fun. Record now or hone your tone-memory, so you can hear the
difference you're making.

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Chapter 799, Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM