Steinway parts supplier.....

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:08:39 -0800

The Thumper said: "
I just got a little Steinway "S" grand to rebuild. I
haven't done a Steinway in a while, so I am humbly
requesting advice regarding from whom to buy the
hammers, shanks and wippens.
( And a little explanation of why, if its not too
much trouble. )

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New year to all !"

First of all, Back attcha with the wishes. To all the Same.<G>

I would strongly recommend Steinway, NEW YORK parts. They are much better than in the past. And, the consistency is adequate. (Repinning and gramming still required, as always.)
As I am a strong proponent of ROUND hammer shanks, this is the way I go. One exception: I hate the sound of lacquered hammers, so....I use Ronsen. (Either the "European felt" or the Wurzen!!!)
I find an inconsistancy with others parts, that I don't like to deal with. Hence my use of Steinway parts. BTW, the gal at Steinway that is in charge of "Parts", is really good to deal with, IMO.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I