Sound-board modification

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:55:16 -0600

> Ron,
> Would it be possible to use a strong magnet and a piece of metal, that
> could be moved around, to add this weight, to a specific place?? Then a
> person, might be able to find the 'sweet' spot.
> John M. Ross

I suppose it could be, never tried it. I do enough of this sort of
stuff that I have made up and keep on hand a number of weights of
varying sizes for the purpose, between maybe 40g and 150g. Assuming
the bridge is screwed down with soundboard buttons, it's easy enough
to back out screws and screw weights on temporarily for testing. If
no buttons, a few holes can be drilled into the bridge from
underneath and give you something to hang weights from. If you end
up with an extra hole with no weight, a button and screw makes it
look like it was intentional all along. A bit of back and forth of
heavier and lighter weights in different locations will narrow down
the possibilities of what works, and how well. Then I pop off the
button, and screw the weight on permanently, bedded in PVCE so it
won't rattle. It can be a surprisingly effective improvement,
considering how low tech the approach is.

Ron N