Tension per cent PR

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:42:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusion. "u" is the mass per length,
or (m/L).

Yes, four cents per hertz is only valid around A440.If
the original pitch is not way off A440, the tension
change should be about 0.45% for each hertz.

For curiosity, we may do a math of 20 Hertz pitch
correction, that is probably the maximum pitch
correction we usually see. This time, we use the
formula you mentioned and raise the pitch from A420 to
A440,

Original tension for note A420, T (420)=4*L*m*420*420,
after raise the pitch by 20 Hertz, the tension
becomes, T(440)=4*L*m*440*440.

T (440): T (420) =1.0975, that means the tension
raised by(about)9.75% after 20Hz pitch correction. We
divide 9.75% by 20Hz, we get 0.48% for each HZ--very
close to 0.45%.

For different note, such as A220, A880 or any notes on
the keyboard, we can do a similar calculation and get
the same results for each string. The whole tension
for a piano is simply added up by each string's
tension. So it is easy to conclude that the whole
tension of a piano will increase 4.5% for each 4 cents
pitch raise,if the piano is not originally way out of
tune.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks!
Baoli