Tension per cent PR

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:30:23 -0800 (PST)

Let me try to do a maths here.We all know the formula
for string frequency,

f=1/2*l(T/u)^1/2, here f is frequency,T is tension,we
can change it to
T=4*l*l*u*f*f,

For note A440,assume the piano is on pitch,

T(440)=4*l*l*u*440*440,

if we raise the pitch by 4 cents(1 HZ),the tension is
going to be

T(441)=4*l*l*u*441*441

T(441):T(440)=1.0045505,that means the tension for
A440 is going to raise 0.455% after 4 cents(1 HZ)
pitch raise.

we can do the same(similar)calculations on all the
strings of a particular piano and all should have the
same results(percentage of tension increase).

Conclusion: the whole tension of a piano will raise by
0.45% after 4 cents(1 HZ for A440) pitch raise.

If i remember correctly,the tension for grand piano
could be more than 15 tons(30,000 pounds),that means
one Hertz pitch raise can change the tension by 135
pounds.

Baoli