How to explain a pitch adjustment

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:01:50

Hi Dean,

Hone your Damppchaser selling skills--and start doing tunings that are near
concert level with servicing just once per year. Typically on a decent well
stabilized upright I'll move no note more than 2 cents--and sometimes less
than that. It makes it a joy for the player.

At 09:48 PM 12/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>         Hi Geoff     It kind of depends on the piano. Most Yamahas are a
>little more tolerant. Generally if they are more than 8-12 cents out
>I’ll use the pitch raise feature of the Cyber Tuner. But I normally
>don’t charge people extra unless it is more than 15 out. Actually, if
>they are within 15 cents I normally don’t even put the piano on pitch
>(unless it is in a critical situation that demands on pitch). If a piano is
>only out that much it is probably because of humidity issues, so I’ll
>tune it flat or sharp as the case may be. Otherwise when I come back in 6
>months it will be 15 cents out the other way. I have a lot of anecdotal
>evidence to support that.      Most of the time if they are out up to 50
>cents I only make one pass through the piano. I always adjust the overpull
>down on the pitch raise screen by -4 cents. It seems to work for me. I do
>check after the first pass, especially at the tenor break, but I am not
>looking for a perfectly still spinner. I’ll tolerate about 1.5 cents
>out, especially if they are somewhat consistent. Usually, even on more
>major pitch raises, there will be only 10-15 notes I need to slightly
>adjust.      If they are out 100-200 cents I usually need to tune twice,
>then a third time on 10-15 notes. I always tell the customer afterwards
>that the piano doesn’t have as good a tuning as if it had been tuned
>regularly. It won’t be stable until after the second or third
>tunings. The second tuning should come within 6 months but you might want
>to call me out sooner if it gets sounding bad.      Hope this helps.
>Dean  Dean May

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7