Unintended Results

carl teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:06:17 -0600

Great answer.  I've never had one turn into thousands, but have
definitely turned some tunings into
very good paying  work.  Quite gratifying when that happens, because it
tells me that my  demeaner
was such that the client seemed to trust my judgement , and when the
client is satisfied with the final
result, we're both pleased, and  my time was profitable. Enjoyed your post.

Carl

Alan Barnard wrote:

> I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're asking but I'll respond ...
>
> Only on one occasion did I do extra work without pre-agreement. That
> was a major pitch raise when the piano owner was not there when I
> arrived (another family member let me in). When I gave her the bill
> she freaked, it was very ugly. On the other hand, she was very upset
> about something from the moment she walked in the door--I was just the
> last straw, as it were.
>
> In this case, I had pretty much carte blanche but only charged her for
> the tuning and PR, the rest was just piddley adjustments, a little
> hammer fitting, etc., that I do as part of tuning anyhow, if there is
> time.
>
> I have, on many, many occasions turned a "normal tuning" into a 2 or 3
> hundred dollar job. On about five occasions, I turned them into 2 and
> 3 thousand dollar jobs. I DO sell work, but I don't twist arms. Here
> is the situation, here are the needs, here are your options, this
> is how your piano could be, here are the economic issues as to now and
> future market value of the piano, etc. You don't have to be a good
> salesman, really, you just have to open your mouth. Same thing on
> selling caster cups, Dampp-Chaser systems, and so forth.
>
> You present, they say yes or no, you make more money, they get a
> happier piano. Win, win, win. Never think of selling as something
> where the customer loses if you "win" -- that's for shysters. Good
> selling is just presenting need, information, options, long term
> benefits, etc.
>
> Alan Barnard
> Salem, Missouri

--Boundary_(ID_ha/FOvHRqjfJFcSdHlYY7w)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_ha/FOvHRqjfJFcSdHlYY7w)
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 67031 bytes
Desc: not available

--Boundary_(ID_ha/FOvHRqjfJFcSdHlYY7w)--