friction

Jack Houweling JackHouweling@dccnet.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:18:11 -0800

Thanks Don, Terry and Alan for this information it was exactly what I =
was after. I heard of Bill's demo but wanted clarification.

Jack Houweling
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ReggaePass@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:45 AM
  Subject: Re: friction

  I agree with everything you have received by way of response so far =
from Don and others.  What I would like to add is this:  Bill Spurlock =
does a demonstration in which he puts a piece of bicycle innertube =
rubber between the capstan and the wip heel.  On an action with ideal =
geometry, it added no measurable friction (!!!).  Where sliding friction =
is present (as opposed to the rolling action achieved with correct =
geometry), it is greatly exasperated by non-polished capstans, dimpled =
wippen bottoms and the like.

  Alan Eder

  In a message dated 12/18/05 1:11:31 PM, JackHouweling@dccnet.com =