How to explain a pitch adjustment

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:48:44 -0500

Hi Geoff

It kind of depends on the piano. Most Yamahas are a little more
tolerant. Generally if they are more than 8-12 cents out I'll use the
pitch raise feature of the Cyber Tuner. But I normally don't charge
people extra unless it is more than 15 out. Actually, if they are within
15 cents I normally don't even put the piano on pitch (unless it is in a
critical situation that demands on pitch). If a piano is only out that
much it is probably because of humidity issues, so I'll tune it flat or
sharp as the case may be. Otherwise when I come back in 6 months it will
be 15 cents out the other way. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to
support that.

Most of the time if they are out up to 50 cents I only make one pass
through the piano. I always adjust the overpull down on the pitch raise
screen by -4 cents. It seems to work for me. I do check after the first
pass, especially at the tenor break, but I am not looking for a
perfectly still spinner. I'll tolerate about 1.5 cents out, especially
if they are somewhat consistent. Usually, even on more major pitch
raises, there will be only 10-15 notes I need to slightly adjust.

If they are out 100-200 cents I usually need to tune twice, then a third
time on 10-15 notes. I always tell the customer afterwards that the
piano doesn't have as good a tuning as if it had been tuned regularly.
It won't be stable until after the second or third tunings. The second
tuning should come within 6 months but you might want to call me out
sooner if it gets sounding bad.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359