How to explain a pitch adjustment..and!

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:24:24 -0800

Depending on the amount of PR, ususally more than 12C, I always schedule a
"follow-up" tuning in 1-3 months, explaining that after restoring all that
loststring tension, the piano now must "settle" and adjust to that added
tension, and it some shifting of will occur. So the follow-up is crucial in
building long term stabilty. And that tuning will leave the piano much more
stable because tuning pin movement will be much smaller than during the
initial PR and tuning. Again, never a problem. Yes, it does help to have a
high confidence level and be able to effectively communicate and impart
information to your client in a clearand concice manner. I am a salesman as
well as a technician; that has made the difference between just getting by
to making a six figures.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: J Patrick Draine <draine@comcast.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: How to explain a pitch adjustment
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:45:03 -0500

Geoff,
I'm sure you've received many replies already, but I'll give you my  two
cents. First, up here in New England, we have a very wide range  of pitch
variation as a result of seasonal change.
So my base rate assumes I'll be doing a significant amount of pitch
adjustment in an average appointment.
So over the phone I quote my base rate for a 1.5 hr. appointment  ($120) and
my hourly rate beyond that ($60/hr.), explaining that if  "it's been awhile"
the appointment may well take an additional hour  hour or whole hour. Or
more, depending on the particular piano's  condition. I don't try to make do
pitch raises super super fast. A  half tone pr can be pretty stable in 2+ hr
with multiple passes.  Though, of course, a follow up tuning is advisable
(but not the  practice of 95% of my customers).
Some customers want a detailed explanation of pitch raising, but most  don't
-- they just want it done right for a fair price. The PTG Home  Office has a
one page handout that explains pitch raising.
If they want a low initial price quote, they can phone somebody else.
Patrick Draine