How to explain a pitch adjustment

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:30:01 -0800

Very good. I especially like that you say: "...stated confidently...". =
Must
work on my self confidence too, I guess.
=20
Thanks=20
=20
-- Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of John Formsma
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:06 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: How to explain a pitch adjustment

As Dean wrote, "pre-selling" the pitch raise on the phone has worked =
very
well for me, too.

Remember to always keep the explanation as simple as possible. The =
customer
doesn't live and breathe piano technology like we do, so keep it simple.
They don't care about a 33% pitch drop. (I've seen the glazed eyes from =
my
own explanations - that's how I know <grin>.)

I often will simply state (ideally, on the phone) that it's impossible =
to do
a fine tuning unless the piano is close to standard pitch. When that is
stated confidently, it's usually not a problem. If needed, a fairly
universal example is painting a purple wall ... white. You can't do it =
with
only one coat - it requires two or more. Most people understand that if =
it
has been "years" since the last tuning, it can't be done with only one =
pass.

John Formsma

Geoff Sykes wrote:=20

Greetings all --
=20
Many pianos need a pitch adjustment prior to tuning. Usually because it
hasn't been touched in five years. Therefore, like many of you I'm sure, =
frequently find myself having to explain to customers what a pitch
adjustment is, and why their piano needs one prior to tuning. I have =
found
that car analogies often help when explaining things but I have not been
able to come up with one that would help with a pitch adjustment. Even =
after
explaining, as simply as I know how, the relationship of the incredible
string tension across the plate and why it needs to be equalized before =
fine tuning will hold, I often feel like I'm coming off trying to sell =
them
something bogus. How do you people explain pitch adjustments to your
customers whose piano needs it so that they not only understand what it =
is
but why it's important that their piano gets one prior to tuning?
=20
-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles