How to explain a pitch adjustment

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:44:35 -0800

That raises an interesting diversionary question. What's the amount of
tension per cent? How many cents of change, over the entire piano, would
create a ton of tension change?
=20
-- Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Cy Shuster
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:24 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: How to explain a pitch adjustment

I measure pitch on all the A's before I start, and record this for the
customer on a graph on the invoice.  This gives them a great visual =
about
what work is needed.  The graph indicates "fine tuning" range (+/1 eight
cents for me).
=20
The analogy I use is sanding: if wood is very rough, you can't start =
with
the 1000-grit paper; multiple passes are required.  Same thing for =
painting:
with regular maintenance, one coat covers, otherwise you may need =
several.
=20
A description of the forces involved helps: 15 to 20 tons of tension
overall; a pitch raise can add a ton of tension (right?), yet a fine =
tuning
requires < 1% accuracy.  No wonder it doesn't last!
=20
--Cy--
=20
=20