How to explain a pitch adjustment

jonathan stuchell jstuchell@verizon.net
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:41:00 -0500

Mike:

             What picture do you draw?
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mike Kurta=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:35 PM
  Subject: Re: How to explain a pitch adjustment

      Geoff:
      Here's my speil:  I explain to the customer that beyond  certain =
limits, the strings need to be brought up to the proper tune in stages, =
rather than all at once.  The reason is that the strings have not seen =
this much tension in a long time and bringing them up to the correct =
pitch too far all at once will result in the strings stretching (a =
normal reaction) and the tune going flat immediately.  For that reason =
the first tuning (pitch raise) involves tuning each string slightly =
higher than the final result to take advantage of this drop in tone.  =
This is called overpull.  By the time  the second pass is made to fine =
tune the piano, the strings will have settled and fallen back close to =
where they should be for the final tuning. =20
      With this in mind, if we tune only up to the proper pitch once and =
not beyond, the strings will stretch and the piano will be flat when =
finished.   I explain that I wouldn't get out of their driveway before =
sour notes would be heard. =20
      I find it helpful to show the customer on my Korg tuner I use for =
pitch raising,  the needle and scale and the relationship of all these =
elements.    Drawing a picture may be helpful also. =20
      Mike Kurta