How to explain a pitch adjustment

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:29:44 EST

Geoff,

I tell the customer that every time you pull a string beyond a  few cents,
the neighboring string is affected.  It's easy to give a graphic  display of
this if you have an ETD.

I will sometimes use a bicycle wheel analogy, pointing out that each time
you tighten or loosen one spoke, other spokes AND the rim are  affected.

Most of the time I just say, "M'am, the piano's really out of  tune.  IN
order for me to get it to pitch, I'll have to tune it twice (or  three times, as
the case may be).  The first tuning is a coarse  tuning, meant to get the piano
close enough to pitch so that it can be  fine-tuned."  I then point out the
wear-and-tear on ears and body  that adjusting the pitch can cause.

If the customer has their piano tuned per my recommendation, I  charge
nothing for a pitch adjustment.  When customers neglect  their pianos, they should
pay, not the tuner!

Dave Stahl

   In a message dated 12/20/2005 12:45:31 P.M. Pacific  Standard Time,