How to explain a pitch adjustment

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:44:46 -0800

Greetings all --
=20
Many pianos need a pitch adjustment prior to tuning. Usually because it
hasn't been touched in five years. Therefore, like many of you I'm sure, =
frequently find myself having to explain to customers what a pitch
adjustment is, and why their piano needs one prior to tuning. I have =
found
that car analogies often help when explaining things but I have not been
able to come up with one that would help with a pitch adjustment. Even =
after
explaining, as simply as I know how, the relationship of the incredible
string tension across the plate and why it needs to be equalized before =
fine tuning will hold, I often feel like I'm coming off trying to sell =
them
something bogus. How do you people explain pitch adjustments to your
customers whose piano needs it so that they not only understand what it =
is
but why it's important that their piano gets one prior to tuning?
=20
-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles