friction

ReggaePass@aol.com ReggaePass@aol.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:45:01 EST

I agree with everything you have received by way of response so far from Don=
=20
and others.   What I would like to add is this:   Bill Spurlock does a=20
demonstration in which he puts a piece of bicycle innertube rubber between t=
he=20
capstan and the wip heel.   On an action with ideal geometry, it added no me=
asurable=20
friction (!!!).   Where sliding friction is present (as opposed to the=20
rolling action achieved with correct geometry), it is greatly exasperated by=
=20
non-polished capstans, dimpled wippen bottoms and the like.

Alan Eder