false beats from ?? -...

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:07:36 -0800

Ric Brekne wrote:

> ... you can insert a loose pin into a false beating strings pin hole
> and the false beating can dissapear.

If you put in a new pin, then a couple of things have changed. You've
removed the notch that was in the old pin. The string is now in a
different position (some wire has slipped left or right around the
hitch). I think Susan Kline remarked that loosening up one end of the
string and tightening up on the other can sometimes clear up string
problems. Makes me wonder about deformation of the string at the capo,
or the way the string comes off the bridge top.

Why is it that pulling some pianos up to pitch produces false beats?

Tom Cole