Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:03:56 -0800

>  Ronsons have always had a similar
> approach to hammer-making as Steinway:  Hammers very soft initially, with
> the tone built into the hammer.  Renners have always had the harder hammers
> from their pressing.  Bottom line....if they sound good for a specific
> application....use them.  Knowing which to use and when comes with
> experience and listening.

Yes....and I hear and most of all FEEL a kinesthetic difference between
high-tension (Renner) and low-tension (Ronsen or Steinway) hammers.
It's probably a subtle thing, but I just prefer the feel of a set of soft
Renner Wurzen felt hammers---AND I like to use needles more than I like to
use hardeners.

Bottom line, as always, is the quality of the work, and the quality of the
final tuning, voicing, and regulation.

DAVID ANDERSEN