Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:30:06 +0100

Hi Brad

I just put a set of Renner (Europe) Wurzens on a C6.  And the result is
beautiful.  Renner Wurzens are slightly harder then Ronsens I
understand, and require just a little needling to open up the
sound....perhaps just a bit of lacqure on the highest and lowest notes
to bring up the power.  I think the natural resiliency in the Wurzen
felt has pretty much shown itself to be a very very desiable quality in
hammers.

btw... I also find that for most uses a strike weight curve around the
top medium - 3/4  medium range followed by a nice smoothing of the front
weights to match a 38 gram BW yeilds an exceptional touch weight /
response combination when combined with really good quality hammers and
voicing work.

I agree... the asian hammers I most often run into are very difficult to
get a satisfactory (to me) voice out of.  That said... new high end
Yamaha grands use Wurzen felt now I am told.

Cheers

RicB

Question is, does anyone have insights on the benefits of putting different
hammers (i.e. non hard-pressed types) onto an
excellent Yamaha action?   ( I love the precision of the Japanese/Yamaha,
but I also serve several pianists who are dyed in the wool Steinway people.
who don't care for the tone of Asian hammers, even after careful-balanced
voicing).