false beats from??

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:01:34 -0600

> Ron and list,
>         If  the problem is loose bridge pins, and I believe that it is,
> then why not replace with an oversized pin instead of super glue. I've
> never been quite happy with the lack of control over the application of
> super glue as it seems to go in places where I didn't want it. Perhaps
> I'm using the wrong viscosity. We replace individual tuning pins with
> oversize, why not bridge pins too?
>
> Greg

Like everything, it depends on the situation. Replacing bridge pins
in a field repair situation is less practical than CAing the pin
(thin) in situ is preferable to changing it for a larger one, given
the need to let tension down, disengaging the string, reaming the
holes out to accommodate the larger pins, installing the pins,
epoxying or CAing the new pins, putting the strings back in place,
and pulling them back up to pitch. In the shop, when the piano is
being restrung, the game changes somewhat, but I don't see any real
reason to go up in size in either case unless you are replacing #6
pins in the treble with #7 with a rebuild (if spacing allows),
because I don't personally think #6 pins have any business being in
a piano at all. The fit of the pin in the cap, with the cap being as
solid as possible, is the thing.

My call.

Ron N