Tuning time

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:39:26 EST

Brett,

The important thing here is not to put the onus on yourself.  If  you're
going to end up late to an appointment because of the previous one, and  as a
result, at the end of the day be an hour late to dinner with your  significant
other, somebody needs to pay you for your effort.  And don't  forget to use your
phone to notify people you're running behind...

The way I work it is I give an hour and a half appointment for a specified
price.  I then charge an hourly rate, based on 15 minute increments if my
overtime is less than an hour.  One great thing about being self-employed  is that
you can call the shots.  If it's a client that you like, or is  financially
challenged, you can give a little extra.  If it's a client  who's all business,
you can go by the book.  If you don't like to bargain,  you may want to have
a fee schedule printed up as a handout.

If the piano is close to pitch, my appointment time will allow for small
fixes, pedal squeaks, etc..  The customers who take good care of their  pianos
are rewarded, because the tuning usually takes around an hour.   Those who don't
have their pianos tuned regularly will have to pay extra for a  pitch raise,
even if it falls within the hour and a half  appointment  time-frame-- partly
as a punitive measure for piano neglect, mostly because  of the wear and tear
on my body and ears.

Noises, buzzing notes, and false beats can be real time-eaters.  If  you are
going to fix them at a regular appointment, be ready to run behind, and  be
sure to point out what you are doing so the piano owner will be prepared to  pay
for your time.  People don't like big surprises on their bill.

Yes, the better pianos take me longer to tune.  Because they CAN be  tuned.
You can hear the specific things you are listening for in good  quality 7
footer.  In  a spinet, one hears all kinds of wobbles and  warbles that bear
little relation to what you're listening for.

If a piano is not badly out of tune, I will often take a substantial amount
of time for the simple reason that I want to hear significant improvement
before  I leave.

Hearing improvement?  I don't think so.  My hearing was better at  23 than it
is at 53.  The difference is, I am better trained now that I was  then.  My
LISTENING skills have improved since then, and they continue to  improve.

Hope this helps,

Dave Stahl

  In a message dated 12/16/2005 11:26:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,