Time and Chaos question for Tom

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:20:34 -0600

I can't hold my fingers back from chimeing in on this one.

Hasn't the public learned by now that the virus, worm, etc writers are
counting on you to use the default (Internet Explorer and Outlook)
internet applications. This is why I cringe, for you, everytime I hear
stories like this one. Almost every MAJOR breach has happened through
one of these "portals". I can't stress enough to not use these and use
something use like Mozilla's Firefx (browser) and Mozilla's Thunderbird
(email). There is no guarantee that you'll never get hit again but the
chances, as of now, are greatly diminished.

Now before eveyone gets there dander up, I know it's not for everyone,
but I went as far as migrating to Linux and a dual-boot with Windows 8
years ago. Yes, it's a leaning curve BUT at the risk of losing
everything I thought it was worth it.

Again I know Linux is not for everyone so the first step is to stop
using IE and Outlook, the two biggest portals of viruses, worms, etc.
and go to something else.

Think about to what cost do you need to go to protect your system and data.

A while back my wife showed up home early one day and I asked for why
she was home. She said that their whole network was down - hit by the
Love Virus - and for everyone to go home. However, It did not effect me
because I was not using IE and/or Outlook - and - the fact that all of
my internet dealings I do through Linux.

If I have offened anyone, I apologize. I'm just an advocate for safe and
friendly computing,

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler