who's responsible?

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:13:43 -0500

Good example Jon,
I've gotten into the habit of asking customers if it's okay to set this
(fallboard, music desk, bottom board)
here on the floor.   They answer yes, or suggest something else and THEY now
share responsibiity with me.
I often make a light comment such as: "I'm sorry if I'm creating an
obstacle-course, just want to be sure you know this is here..."   They
always say, no problem, etc.

If we demonstrate that we care about the customer's belongings, as much and
slightly more than they do... we earn trust, and they can forgive a thousand
mistakes. If we don't do it, the potential for blame and mistrust is
exponential.
The instinct to ask permission is invaluable.
May I ask you about ____?   Would you prefer that I take my shoes off? What
time is the midight buffet?  etc.

I've also had situations where the dog runs in, stops on top of the piano
parts on the floor, gets spooked and skiddadles  like a cartoon character,
scratching paws as he goes.  The habit paid off, because the customer knew
the parts were there.

This has been an interesting thread.  We all have to have a 3rd and 4th eye
watching out for things like this.

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.SmithPiano.com