Who's Responsible

A440 Piano Service a440@bresnan.net
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:03:05 -0700

Terry,

Tough break, man, but I also concur with Susan that it's most important =
just to forget about blame and clean up the mess to the customer's =
satisfaction.

Once upon a time I worked for a great retailer who taught me a simple 3 =
step formula for customer satisfaction:
1. Ask the customer what they want.
2. Listen.
3. Give them what they want, (and a little more when possible.)

This, of course, assumes that the customer wants something reasonable, =
and most do. So to put the ball in her court, I'd first say something =
like, "Gee, Ms. Customer, I'm SO sorry this happened. I'm human and I =
make mistakes, but I want to make THIS one right with you. How would you =
like me to handle this?" (You might offer an option or two if she's =
stuck for an answer)

You might hear a response that's way less than your worst-case fears! =
And then, after you've finished, say, touching up the finish, you could =
polish the piano and/or clean the soundboard as an "extra", and you'll =
have a customer for life. A customer who'll brag to others about you. =
It's not a tragedy, it's an opportunity.

Hope this helps,
John Dorr