Piano Service Software

Roy roy.peters@mindspring.com
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:42:25 -0500 (EST)

Quikbooks makes a Customer Manager program.  It's not too expensive..I think it was $89.

I made the switch from PTBiz at the start of the year.  I was able to import names, addresses, and telephone numbers from my PTBiz customer database via the process that John previously described...creating a CVS file using the mailmerge function.

QBCM can sync with data in both Outlook and Quikbooks.    So, any changes you make in one program will change info in the other two.   You can set  QBCM so that it uses the Outlook calendar as it's primary calendar.  That's what I did.   So, my PocketPC syncs with Outlook on the desktop, and then QBCM syncs with both Outlook and Quikbooks.   You can add a customer in Quikbooks, for instance, and the info shows up on your PocketPC, and vice-versa.

There are two minor drawbacks.
One) The syncing process with QBCM is a little bit "clunky".  You have to have QBCM, Quikbooks, and Outlook all open to sync them.
Two) Appointments don't appear in the QBCM customer history unless you make them from QBCM.  Appointments made in Outlook (on the PocketPC, for instance) do appear on the the Outlook calendar in QBCM, they just don't show up in the customer info.

Overall, the switch to Quikbooks and QBCM is one I've been happy with.  PTBiz really isn't an accounting program.  It keeps track of income, but not expenses.  It's good, as far as it goes, but it's much nicer to have a program which keeps track of both.  The whole goal is to have less work to do come tax time.  Also, Quikbooks is putting out updates just about every year, so I'm not stuck with an obsolete  program.  I expect they will upgrade the QBCM program as well.  I've already recieved one update.

Another thing about Quikbooks is that they offer seminars through associated accounting firms so you can learn how to use the program.  I went to one last fall, and it was well worth it.

It sounds like others out there have found good solutions also.  I think that we all have our own ways of operating, and just have to find what works well for each of us.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati