who's responsible?

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:07:32 -0800 (PST)

Bottom line, Terry, as hard as it is to swallow, is that if you hadn't left the music desk out, this would not have happened.  Ergo, fault.  A similar thing happened to me about 5 years ago with an unknown broken caster and a nice wood floor.  No way I could know it was poised and ready for destruction when I went to move the piano away from the wall.
  S-c-r-a-t-c-h....ouch!

  And sorry, but the refrigerator analogy doesn't hold well for me.  Virtually every owner of a frig has to take out the shelves from time to time, but for what reason would a piano owner remove their music desk from time to time?  I would venture to guess that less than 1% of my clientele in 28 years has ever removed their music desk.

  Susan's right.  Fix it and get it behind you.

  It's a jungle out there....

  Mark Potter

pianolover 88 <pianolover88@hotmail.com> wrote:
  Ok, here is what I feelis a good analogy. A refrigerator repairman has spent
a few hours servicing a fridge, cleaning out the motor compartment,
installing a new compressor,etc. He removes all the glass shelves from the
inside (the food had already been removed by the owner, who is not
home...same scenario) so he can fix a bad connection in the light switch. He
puts everything back together, except a glass shelf; simply an oversight.
Later, the housekeeper spots it and decides to put it back inside the
fridge. Even later the owner comes home, opens the fridge and the glass
shelf, having not been put properly on the tracks, comes crashing down and
shatters into a million pieces! Who's fault is that??? SAME THING. A music
desk on a grand is COMMONLY removed and replaced by piano owners, as is a
fridge shelf. I just don't see how I can be responsible for the
housekeeper's actions. Again, if there was ANY question as to putting it
back CORRECTLY, they could have simply called me, but the housekeeper took
it upon herself to "wedge" the desk under the top lid apparently just to get
it off the floor! Don't you think she should have at LEAST informed the
owner that MAYBE she did not put it in the right way, and to MAYBE be
cautious when opening the lid???? Does she bare ZERO responsibility?

Terry Peterson