Rebuild Standards - Warning: Major Rant

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:59:54 -0500

I think that because we are involved in an unlicensed profession, there =
is no way to have any such workable standard. But as far as what I'd =
like to see - sure, I'll bite on that one.

Pretty simple actually. First, a conversation needs to be had with the =
piano owner. They need to identify their targeted end result for the =
piano. Do they want the piano to be better than new? Like new? Improved? =
Look nice, but it will never be played? What are their needs, wants & =
desires?

Once the target result is established, a checklist of all piano parts =
should be used to evaluate condition/need. Each part should be rated - =
okay, repair, rebuild, replace.

Then the rebuilder can sit down with the piano owner and discuss his/her =
recommendations for achieving the piano owner's targeted rebuilding =
result.

That is essentially the process I go through each time I take in a =
rebuilding project.

I have pianos in my shop that are being stripped to the frame and are =
being completely redesigned and remanufactured - because that is what =
the owner's are looking for.=20

I also just took in a 90-year-old Packard grand for bass restringing, =
and partial rebuilding of the action. The piano was "rebuilt" 20 years =
or so ago and the finish and plain wires are okay (the action is so far =
out of regulation that it barely functions). The wippens can be salvaged =
(good shape for age) and action geometry is acceptable. The =
owner/pianist has Alzheimer's disease and the expectations for the =
performance of this piano are not high - they just want it to function =
reasonably well and not hold the player back. So we put together a $4K =
package of rebuilding tasks that I think will make them happy with the =
piano.

But I did cover the $30K option with the Packard owner - just so they =
were aware of the range of possibilities for their piano. They =
eliminated that direction pretty quickly. I understood that with no =
problem.

In my original post, the Chickering piano owner expected the piano to be =
in excellent working order after the rebuild. The result was far, far =
short of that.=20

Although my conversation with the Chickering piano owner was limited, it =
seems apparent that there was no discussion about rebuilding options - =
the rebuilder offered one level of piano rebuilding - "everything".

IMHO, everything means everything - every part that commonly wears over =
time needs to be rebuilt or replaced (hopefully properly). That means =
every piece of leather or felt - every bushing in the back action and =
trap work - everything means that at a minimum, bridges need to be at =
least refurbished (resurfaced, renotched, pins secured) - preferably =
rebuilt (better yet new!). And yes, an "everything" rebuild typically =
means the soundboard also - but again, that depends on the piano owners =
need and expectations. If the soundboard is shot - the piano sounds =
dead, etc. - that must be discussed with the piano owner - not =
identifying that system dysfunction is deplorable.

"Rebuilding" an action consisting of new hammers, keytops and damper =
felt - and then not regulating the action - is inexcusable IMHO. Even if =
the rebuilder's only objective was to make the new keytops look good, =
s/he would want to level and space the damn keys!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Okay, Terry. Give us a workable standard- what you'd like to see.=20

  =20

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

  PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272