Rebuild Standards - Warning: Major Rant

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:54:21 -0500

Oh I wish there were some standards for the "rebuilt" piano.

I know this has been covered before, but I just got slapped in the face =
with it today and it is so fresh in my mind. I can't resist. Delete now =
if you prefer.

Appointment to tune an "old" piano out in the country - I figured either =
an old upright or a 1940s Acrosonic spinet.=20

Wrong. About a 1910 Chickering 5' 8" grand. Just rebuilt about 6 years =
ago. Family heirloom.

Very nice new million-dollar-plus home. Nobody plays the piano. They are =
hiring a college student pianist to play for an upcoming party.

"Rebuild" consisted of the all-too-common minimum - case refinish, plate =
refinish, new strings (wound tricords and all), new tuning pins (various =
heights and many loose string coils - and the damn becket end sticking =
out a half inch), new damper felt (twice as wide as the damper heads, of =
course), new hammers (at every angle under the sun) and new keytops. =
That's it. Nothing else.

The keytops weren't too bad.

The action had not been regulated. New hammers, and not regulated. =
Original key bushings so worn that they allow keys to bang into one =
another. Key level all over the place. All original front rail paper and =
felt punchings (no doubt center rail also)! Original worn out backchecks =
(yup, and new hammers). Original shank/flange/knuckles - knuckles are =
like little squares (let-off is definitely an "event"). Soundboard =
cracked to smithereenes. Original cracked bridge cap with original pins. =
This piano is almost completely devoid of sound - it is soooooo quiet. =
Talk about a killer octave - this thing has a killer keyboard - 88 of =
'em. The entire high treble section hasn't one string that rings - the =
best ones sound like a little electric wire shorting out - =
zszszszsszszszszt! The action is as slow and mushy and heavy as any =
trash action I have run across.

I asked the lady if the rebuilder talked to her about rebuild task =
options - she said no - she just told the guy to do everything that it =
needed. She paid $7K - a little high for the work done - but that's not =
the point. The lady wanted a piano that worked well. She got a =
decent-looking 600 lb. cow pie.

I didn't say anything else to her. But I sure wanted to. Is there some =
way to tell her what a crap piano she has?

Then I went to a funeral home in a poor neighborhood of Tampa. Tuned a =
typical crap little 1960s Aeolian spinet - fair bit of wear, about a =
dozen universal bass strings, etc., etc. With absolutely no =
exaggeration, that Aeolian spinet was easily more than ten times the =
musical instrument than the Chickering grand. The spinet played way =
better, it sounded way better, it was 10 times louder, the treble =
actually rang a little. Think about it. That is amazing.

If I ever service that grand again I'm going to bring my Lowell gauge =
and crown-measuring string and try to figure out how a piano could =
possibly sound that bad.

Sorry. End of rant. I was just so blown away by the crap work done on =
the grand and this contrast between the two pianos.

Terry Farrell